>Ex-President Rawlings’ House on Fire: Was It Electrical?
Today, facts are a bit more clear:
– Nobody was hurt
– Only Mrs. Konadu Rawlings and one of their daughters were at home
– The ex-president was not at home, but came to the sight early in the morning
– The fire started at 4 am
– By 9.30 am the house was completely burned down
– Three months ago, an electrical fire almost broke out in the residence
– The house was a colonial style bungalow, in much constructed in wood
Immediately a debate broke out on electrical fires caused by the common fluctuations of power in Ghana. The night before the fire, it was raining heavily and a substation broke down in Tema. However, GRIDCO, the distribution company found that such a discussion was premature before a proper investigation had been carried out, see here.
As I heard the rain coming down heavily that night, I woke up and as I anticipated power to fluctuate I anxiously went to pull the plug on all computer equipment (beacuse yes, I am a computer nerd). Then I went back to sleep.
Next time, I’m not so sure I’ll be able to go back to sleep.
Pictures borrowed from myjoyonline.com